Diet, diet, diet, I cannot say it enough. I’m not talking about going on a diet, but having a healthy, balanced diet – all of the time. I promise that you will not see abs just by doing sit-ups all day. By eating the right foods and doing full body workouts, you can get that line down your stomach and six pack abs that you’re working towards!
Here are some of the top foods that you can give your body to help get that flat stomach you want. A lot of it has to do with keeping a healthy digestive tract, which means lots of fiber and probiotics.
1. Apples! Particularly green ones. Green apples are more tart because they contain less sugar than any other kind. They are full of fiber and their acidity helps slow down digestion, keeping you feeling full longer. Another plus is that they are natures toothbrush! When you bite into an apple, it helps scrap plaque off of your teeth. How about a nice bright smile to go with those flat abs? Yes, please!
2. Greek yogurt. I’m not talking about the flavored ones that are packed with sugar! I’m talking about plain Greek yogurt (my favorite brand is Fage). Packed with probiotics to help keep you regular and maintain a clean gut. Greek yogurt also contains lots of protein and is an awesome post-workout snack!
3. Almonds. But not too much! They are higher in calories, but a handful of these powerful nuts will give your body about 4 grams of fiber, 11 grams of monounsaturated fat, and 7 grams of protein! Almonds help balance your blood sugar levels, which keep you full and blocks out intense cravings!
4. Asparagus. I could munch on these little tree’s all day. My favorite way to prepare them is by roasting them, but they’re also phenomenal steamed. Asparagus is a natural diuretic, which means it will help you to shed additional water weight. It is another fibrous food that keeps things moving along. Thumbs up! Oh and beware – asparagus can make your urine smell very strongly.
5. Salmon! A personal favorite. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this fish is crucial for keeping good health. Try grilling it and putting over wild rice or a spinach salad! Mmmm. I think I’m going to pick up some salmon for dinner tonight…
6. Green Tea. This calming tea has many antioxidants and boosts your metabolism! It is literally a fat-burning drink.
7. Blueberries. High in water and fiber, these sweet thangs keep you full longer. They’re also very satisfying to your sweet tooth for a fraction of the calories you would get from cookies or brownies. A dessert that is loaded with antioxidants? True story.
8. Lentils. It is no secret that legumes are full of fiber due to the unpleasant effect they can have on your body (think flatulence) – haha! However, lentils are one of the most nutritious things you can give to your body due to the high protein, fiber, B Vitamins, iron, potassium and other minerals. They are also quite inexpensive! Stay tuned for my favorite lentil soup recipe, coming soon! 🙂
9. Eggs. You cannot find a more perfect source of protein. Eat them as a snack or for breakfast and they will help get you lean muscles and keep you full! My favorite way to eat them is poached 🙂
10. Leafy Greens. Last, but certainly not least! High in fiber, low in carbohydrates, leafy greens are among the most filling foods you can eat. Due to their high fiber content, greens digest slowly. Eat big salads or throw them in your smoothies!