Quinoa is always a hot topic in my household. Mostly because I always want to make it, but Sam hates it. Hates it. I don’t understand why because it doesn’t really taste like much (maybe that’s why?) and it is so good for you! Knowing his strong hate for this poor little grain, I made quinoa anyways. But this time, I tried to make it look a little more appealing. Tomato Basil Quinoa Salad. The verdict? HE LIKED IT! I wouldn’t say love, but I’ll take a like! This salad is so light and fresh and perfect as a side or a main dish! The flavor of basil mixed with lemon juice and olive oil is out of this world. Not an uncommon mix for obvious reasons.
We both love feta, thank goodness! Being Greek, I don’t think I could marry a man who didn’t like feta, so I’m glad that worked out. I made sure to add a lot of this yummy cheese : )
This is super easy to make if you don’t feel like cooking! Perfect mid-week meal. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 oz. feta, crumbled
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 of one onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Juice from half of lemon
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Rinse quinoa under cold water until the water starts to come out clear.
- Bring the quinoa and 2 cups of water to boil, and then reduce to simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop tomato, basil, and onion.
- Add tomato, basil, onion, and feta to a bowl. Then add the quinoa.
- Dress with the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Let chill and then serve!