It is January, which means the #Whole30January is in full swing! This is something that I like to do every year. The Whole30 has seen some controversy recently, but coming from someone who has done 3 times now – I love it. It is described as a ‘nutritional reset’ and that is exactly what I need after the holidays. I feel so good after completing it. My skin glows, my hair is shiny, my energy is through the roof, and it has helped me keep my sweet tooth in check (big win for me!). I am also quite the wine drinker, so it feels nice to take a break from all of those toxins.
Each year, the Whole30 gets easier for me. Once you’ve done it a few times, you know how to prepare better, faster, and smarter. The Whole30 has also changed a little bit through the years. You are now able to have raw cacao (ka·cow) on the Whole30! WHAAAAT! Not familiar with cacao? Allow me to enlighten you. It’s raw chocolate, people! Chocolate is actually loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It becomes unhealthy when people add unnecessary dairy, sweeteners, and chemicals to make it taste better (I’m lookin’ at you Milky Way). I’ve done a little research to show you the exact benefits you get from cacao.
- Magnesium, and other essential minerals including calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, and manganese
- Polyphenols called flavonoids, with antioxidant properties
- Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, E
- Essential heart-healthy fat: oleic acid a monounsaturated fat
These nutrients found in raw chocolate have been linked to a number of health benefits:
- Raw chocolate can lower blood pressure & improve circulation
- Raw chocolate can promote cardiovascular function & health
- Raw chocolate can neutralize free radicals
- Raw chocolate can improve digestion
- Raw chocolate can enhance physical and mental well-being
Pretty sweet, right? Moral of the story: EAT MORE CHOCOLATE! You can start by making this insanely good hot chocolate. Roasted chestnuts, added protein, healthy fats, and an incredible superfood: cacao. If you are not doing the Whole30 – use the original hot chocolate mix from eatingEVOLVED in this recipe. You will not regret it!! They have tons of raw cacao products! Enter the code ‘ashleyhtmt‘ at the checkout to get TWO FREE BARS. No minimum required 🙂
This recipe is so comforting and satisfying. The meat from the roasted chestnuts gives it that warm, nutty flavor. I added a little cinnamon for some spice, curled up on the coach, and watch The Devil Wears Prada for the 27,403,873 time. Perfect drink for a lazy day.
- 4 roasted + peeled chestnuts
- 2 Tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (I use Califia Farms)
- 10g collagen peptides (I use Vital Proteins)
- 1 tsp. vanilla ghee (I use Fourth & Heart)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- With a sharp knife, cut an X into the flat side of the chestnut. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Once the chestnuts have roasted, peel them and keep the meat.
- Place the almond milk in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once the milk is boiling, pour into a Vitamix and blend with the cacao, chestnuts, cinnamon, collagen peptides, and ghee.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy 🙂
- For spicy hot chocolate, add a VERY small pinch of cayenne pepper!